Wednesday, March 11, 2009

@SenJohnMcCain - potshots are fun, but what are you going to DO?

Well, first I started following Dave Snowden, then my BFF got in the picture. Then I heard from Fark that Senator McCain has gotten on Twitter. Now I don't know that he's actually typing updates into his Blackberry, but somebody's doing it with his permission.

It's all about the benjamins earmarks, if you're just following the updates. What you don't get, and what I hate about Twitter generally, is context. Should I be against all pork? Just all the pork in this bill?

It turns out that there are few to no earmarks for Arizona in this particular bill. Here's a searchable database if you care to look. I found it myself. It was not in Sen. McCain's 'tweets'. (I refuse to learn the vocabulary,but it's fining its way into my brain anyway).

The stimulus bill that passed the other day is another matter. None, or at least most, of the states' governers are stupid enough to reject all the money, just the money they can keep from relatively defenseless people - non donors: the unemployed, the poor, the children.

McCain voted against that, too, so he's at least consistent.

What I want to know is - what's your alternative? What are you offering instead? Are you going to keep knocking people for wanting money to get help:
  • $190,000 to build a Living Science Museum in New Orleans, LA
  • $95,000 for the state of New Mexico to find a dental school location
  • $380,000 for a recreation and fairground area in Kotzebue, AK
...and my favorite...
  • $50,000 for the City of Charlotte for gang prevention

See how easy that is? I'm just knocking you around, because these sound good. Maybe they're real, maybe they're not. I can snark all day long, but I can probably find out in a few minutes whether or not they can be worthy projects.

You, sir, have staff at your disposal who can contact the people repsonsible for these earmarks and just ask. This is not rocket science, this is sausage making. And like it or not, you're a sausage maker.

No comments: