Saturday, March 13, 2010

Mind the Gap

I got into another Internet Spat this week, 'cause nothing was on TV.  For the most part, we were talking past each other, because the basic reality of the situation was pretty simple.  It got a little silly toward the end, but nearly halfway civil as we finally agreed to disagree.

(Normally I cut off "debate" when the person in question starts calling names, but like I said, there was nothing on TV, and there was some halfway decent argument in the fellow's posts)

Anyway, I got this little gem in my email the other day, "When Debating a Liberal, Start With First Principles", by hardworking Big C Conservative Mark Alexander.  It's a nice little essay on how to slide your way around talking points without having a real conversation.  He's at least honest enough to say that when you're up against another True Beleiver, it's not going to end with agreement, but with a scorched earth, and the only thing that counts is ammunition.

I remember seeing a similar article after the 2006 election.  It was titled "How to talk to a Conservative" or similar, but damned if I can find it now.  It was taken from texts on how to convert former religious folks and smokers.  I found it a smarmy bit of writing and disregareded it. 

eHow.com has a surprisingly good article on simply having a discussion.  Yes! Magazine, who's new to me, has a whole series on talking past the gap.

I've been watching the Coffee Party, which hasn't decided what it'll be when it grows up, but it shows promise.  Guess we'll see.

In other news, Redstate has banned Birthers.  Good move, I think.  Wonder if my Rep knows?

No comments: